Recently, AOpen released a new commercial Chromebox, called AOpen Commerical Chromebox 2. Version 1 is in the market since almost 4 years ago. Seems that there is a lot of anxiety around the new product.
So, what is new about version 2 (compared to version 1)?
- Seems that this Chromebox is the only one and the first one with 4K screen resolution in the market.
- Better processor.
- It has a new HDMI 2.0 port (better performance for 4K TV), which replaced the DisplayPort. So now you have 2 HDMI ports on the Chromebox.
- Another USB 3.0 port was added, so now you have 3 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports (in version 1 you had 4 USB 2.0 ports).
- Added remote power switch that enables the device to be powered up and down remotely (I haven’t tried that yet).
- Seems that there is no more SD card reader slot in version 2.
Here is the new spec:
- Operating system: Chrome OS.
- Processor: Intel® Celeron 3865U or Intel® Core i3-8130.
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 RAM.
- Storage: 16GB or 32GB SSD.
- Features: 4K screen resolution, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, RJ45, RJ50 (commercial port with legacy serial RS232), 3 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, HDMI 1.4 port, HDMI 2.0 port, security lock slot, headphone jack, on/off button, 2 antennas and power supply.
- Retail prices: still unknown. Probably will be around 430 USD – 480 USD, like the old Chromebox Commercial (version 1).
All in all, I think this is a good improvement. Well done, AOpen!